[ubuntu-uk] IRC over GPRS (was: Linux expo in Feb 2011)

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Sat Jan 8 15:46:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 15:28 +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> Just as a point of reference, IRC is very bandwidth efficient as it is
> pure text with tiny fractional overhead.  GPRS is also metered by
> bytes, not wall clock time, so these two go together very well.

Thanks - hadn't realised that.  I don't use a broadband contract for my
dongle, just the sim out of my PAYG phone.  It's cheap (30p per day) if
I don't go above 50 Mb in that day.  If I do, it gobbles my credit
really fast.  Normally, I only use it for keeping up with e-mails while
I'm away and where I can't get wi-fi access, which is very rare these
days.  Almost everywhere you stay has either wi-fi or an ethernet
socket.

Regards,		Barry Drake.
--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!