[ubuntu-uk] IRC over GPRS (was: Linux expo in Feb 2011)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sat Jan 8 15:28:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Barry Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 11:43 +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
> > We could split the difference and try for 8:30 I suppose.
> if I'm having to use my gsm dongle, I won't be able to IRC

Just as a point of reference, IRC is very bandwidth efficient as it is
pure text with tiny fractional overhead.  GPRS is also metered by
bytes, not wall clock time, so these two go together very well.

If you just connect to the one IRC channel you need to be on then the
entire hour will come to about the same as downloading a single email.

	-Paul