[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server Upgrade -- how long should I wait for server to restart?

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Tue Feb 22 12:50:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 11:44 +0000, John Stevenson wrote:

> How long you should wait probably depends on what the server is doing
> now.  You request does not state what state the server is currenty in,
> so it is difficult to advise.

Indeed. Your description implies that you're not near the server and
don't have a networked KVM on it. I don't recommend remotely upgrading
without that.

The best possible outcome (which doesn't involve you going to the
colocation room) is that the server is running an fsck right now and
will come online once that's done. Otherwise, you need to get on a
keyboard and monitor and see what is happening.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in
anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."