[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server Upgrade -- how long should I wait for server to restart?

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Tue Feb 22 11:44:23 UTC 2011

On 22 February 2011 10:23, Alexander Birchall <tengallonhat at hotmail.co.uk>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have just gone through the procedure of upgrading from Ubuntu server
> Hardy Heron 8.04 to the latest version (10.04 LTS), using the upgrade
> manager.  The procedure took a couple of hours to complete, and then I was
> asked to restart the server.  This I did, but that was half an hour ago.
> How long should I wait for the server to return to life?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Alex Birchall

Hello Alex,
How long you should wait probably depends on what the server is doing now.
You request does not state what state the server is currenty in, so it is
difficult to advise.

Has the server actually rebooted or is it still thinking about it?
Did you select reboot or shutdown ?
How far in the boot process did the server get after the reboot?
Did you see the the bios screen?
Is there anything showing on the monitor, such as a little white flashing
cursor?
Do you get a response if you ping the server?

If there is no disk activity and you cant ping the server and there is
nothing on the screen, then it sounds like a manual reboot is in order.  If
so, then try Ctrl-Alt-Del keyboard combination as a more elegant way to shut
down the server (compared to the reset button).

The more information you can give us then the better chance we have of
giving you something other than general information.

Thank you
--
John Stevenson
Lean Agile Consultant / Coach