[ubuntu-uk] pre-installed Ubuntu from UK vendor :)

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 18:06:18 UTC 2011

On 21/02/11 16:45, Ross Mounce wrote:
> [It's my first post: Hi all!]
>
> I often hear that it's rare to find UK vendors selling computers with
> Ubuntu pre-installed.
>
> So I was pleasantly suprised to see this:
> http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/NEW-Nanosaur-410-95p966.htm
>
> ...comes pre-installed with "Linux Ubuntu 10" [sic]

Actually that doesn't seem too bad, it's not that much cheaper at trade
price :-)

> On a related note. I'm looking to buy a multi-core desktop, and a netbook.
> Any suggestions as to where I can get these aside from the
> aforementioned vendor?
>
>     * I want to avoid having to pay extra for M$ software that I won't use
>     * I'm on a student budget, so the cheaper the better!

Not sure about a Netbook but for a multi-core desktop, have you
considered building one yourself?

If you don't fancy that option then you could try eBuyer.com, Aria.co.uk
or Novatech, they all sell PCs with or without an OS.

(I'd personally avoid anything with the Sandybridge chipset at the
moment however, even Intel sent out an e-mail to trade suppliers
suggesting that they don't sell any PCs with the Sandybridge chipset
which has a fault in it).

(More specifically it's the Intel® 6 Series Express Chipset and the C200
chipset).

Rob