[ubuntu-uk] pre-installed Ubuntu from UK vendor :)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Feb 21 18:29:03 UTC 2011

On 21/02/11 18:06, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 21/02/11 16:45, Ross Mounce wrote:
>>  [It's my first post: Hi all!]
>>
>>  I often hear that it's rare to find UK vendors selling computers with
>>  Ubuntu pre-installed.
>>
>>  So I was pleasantly suprised to see this:
>>  http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/NEW-Nanosaur-410-95p966.htm
>>
>>  ...comes pre-installed with "Linux Ubuntu 10" [sic]
>>

> Actually that doesn't seem too bad, it's not that much cheaper at trade
> price :-)
>

>>  On a related note. I'm looking to buy a multi-core desktop, and a netbook.
>>  Any suggestions as to where I can get these aside from the
>>  aforementioned vendor?
>>
>>      * I want to avoid having to pay extra for M$ software that I won't use
>>      * I'm on a student budget, so the cheaper the better!
>>

> Not sure about a Netbook but for a multi-core desktop, have you
> considered building one yourself?
>
> If you don't fancy that option then you could try eBuyer.com, Aria.co.uk
> or Novatech, they all sell PCs with or without an OS.

I notice that Novatech have a Linux forum and netbooks(?) like the X10
have models which change over  product  time. One recently has been
the subject of a struggle with  certain configuration, later solved.

On the subject of self build: bent pins and thermal compound - some
mainboard bundles are sold with CPU  fully assembled and tested. I
think novatech do this, for example.

Is a hand me down desktop any possibility I wonder?
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user