[ubuntu-uk] Lubuntu

Jim Price d1version at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:19:12 UTC 2011

On 10/02/11 15:04, gazz wrote:
> By the way, thanks to whomever suggested Lubuntu for my eeePC. I've
> finally had to bite down on the fact that it can't run Ubuntu Netbook
> sensibly with a 4GB USB HD even stripping out locales and other clutter
> and constantly cleaning up apt like a madwoman.

I would suggest a look at Bodhi linux. It is Ubuntu based, and comes on
a 380MB CD image. It has Enlightenment E17 as a desktop/window manager,
and comes with very little else other than Firefox 4 beta10 and
synaptic. What I like about it is I don't have to remove anything to
make a small installation, just add what I think will fit. I add about
150MB of packages for an installation which fits on a 4GB drive,
including Thunderbird, VLC, gedit, mythTV-frontend, Gnumeric, Abiword,
and some system utilities like ssh, gvfs (for "connect to server" in
Nautilus) and avahi (for local name resolution). The end result is about
2GB, which still leaves room for upgrades and some swap on a 4GB drive.

Enlightenment is modular, so anything you don't want or need you can
just unload, and the really unusual feature is that if it crashes, it
doesn't take all you apps down with it, so you can restart it and still
see all your apps running unharmed. It hasn't crashed on me yet though,
so I haven't tested that out.

http://www.bodhilinux.com

--
JimP