[ubuntu-uk] Attractive Features for Ubuntu

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 08:22:12 UTC 2011

On 21 December 2011 00:09, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> > The main think I like is the notification system. When logged in
>> > with Empathy, if I receive a message a small notification appears
>> > at the bottom of the screen with the message, which I can then
>> > click to reply straight away or ignore and allow it to disappear
>> > like a normal notification.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of any way to get this sort of feature or anything
>> > similar?
>>
>> I'm puzzled. Unity does this already. The notifications are
>> translucent boxes at top right of the screen. The daemon is called
>> ayatana-notify, IIRC.
>>

> No it doesn't. Empathy in Unity presents that pop-up at the top, in
> response to which you need to hunt down the appropriate Empathy window
> and type into it. Any attempt to interact with the notification causes
> it to become invisible.

Let me know if I'm wrong (which is possible as I don't use empathy
anymore) but do you not get a thing in the messaging menu that you can
click on to bring the message to the front? That's how it works with
email. I know it's not as convenient as clicking the notification, but
it's not much slower (the icon should be just above the notification).

-Matt Daubney