[ubuntu-uk] PDFs in LibreOffice on 11.10

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Sat Dec 10 12:06:38 UTC 2011

I am unable to open or import PDF files in LibreOffice on 11.10. Can
someone else with 11.10 please tell me if they have the same problem?

Last week my wife needed to import three PDF files into a Writer
document as images. Open Office on 10.04 did two files without a problem
but struggled with the third. I therefore tried the problem file with
LibreOffice on 11.10 to see if it was any better, but all I got was
several pages full of unicode characters. The web says that LibreOffice
3.4 should be bundled with several extensions, one of which is that
necessary for importing/opening PDF documents. However the extension
manager my installation only has two extensions listed:
1. Script provider for Python 3.3.0
2. Solver or Nonlinear Programming 0.9
The LibreOffice web page for extensions does not even list the PDF
extension.
Can anyone explain why I am having this problem, or have I completely
misunderstood how to use extensions in LibreOffice?

Barry T