[ubuntu-uk] USB 5V DC power: power off?

Andres Muniz Piniella andresmp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 23:29:28 UTC 2011

Hello,
I recently did something that some of you might consider silly.
Bought a usb phone charger from a carboot sale and I cut off the phone
charger end. I found 4 wires green, white, red and black. I took a
broken LED lap I had and hooked up red to red black to black and ignore
the other two. Connected the USB to laptop and I got light.

Now if I want to turn the power off a USB port all the help says to
start by:
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:d101 Suyin Corp. Acer CrystalEye Webcam

But normally all the help I have found concerns removing power off a web
cam or any other device that lsusb finds. But in this case it seems
nothing is there. How to I turn off the 5V DC that are going out all the
usb ports?

I started reading :
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/power-management.txt

Would this be where to start or am I taking it the wrong way and over
complicating?

--

Andrés Muñiz Piniella <http://www.linkedin.com/in/andresmp>

Scientist at the National Physical Laboratory: nanomaterials
<http://www.npl.co.uk/nanomaterials>

This is an email sent with Thunderbird on netbook with Ubuntu:
3.0.0-13-generic GNU/Linux

twitter @NPL: <http://www.npl.co.uk> Congratulations to the winners of
our 2011 Science Film Competition! http://t.co/ZM9O5tQb