[ubuntu-uk] Are we missing the point with an OS ?

bodsda at googlemail.com bodsda at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 3 22:00:30 UTC 2011

I somewhat disagree. The OS stability and configurability is very important to me. As are the applications; I need to know that if something doesn't work properly or has a feature missing that I need, I can download the source and modify it.

The problem for me is not specifically with the OS but with the applications. Windows and Mac (and iOS) attract many non-commercial apps varying in quality and many high quality commercial apps. Unfortunately because the large majority of these are closed source, if they don't provide what you need, the only option is to look for other free/paid software, there is no 'file a bug or write the function yourself' type approach available. For example, I couldn't file a bug/feature request with microsoft to allow me to have custom deck pictures in solitaire, my only option is to look for another solitaire program that provides this feature. Whereas, if I wanted to do this with an open source platform I could fairly painlessly edit the source to provide this feature and then file the patch for inclusion if the developers wish.

So my point is, its not so much the OS but the mentality and licenses of the apps the developers create for the chosen OS. A closed source OS 'generally' lures closed source apps, whereas an open source OS lures open source apps.

Bodsda