[ubuntu-uk] recommend a small form factor pc

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 18:36:45 BST 2010

On 20/09/10 08:33, javadayaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know i have put this question to you guys before...but the time has
> come for me buy a small pc to attach to my beautiful 40" lcd tv.
>
> It has to be able to store my media.
> Be able to run ubuntu (will install Linux Mint on it) (Will install
> Boxee on it)
> Have wifi.
> Have hardware acceleration.
> Be able to surf the interwebs.
>
> I know I could buy a revo...but i was looking for something with a
> cheaper price tag.
>
> Looking forward to your responses!

To be perfectly honest I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything
cheaper than a Revo.  I've been looking at Atom boards with the ION
chipset (I have a MiniITX case already) and they're around the £100 mark
before adding memory, hard drive, wifi card etc.

If you're happy to go for something not so small you could possibly get
away with a MiniATX case and motherboard with maybe an NVidia chipset
and AMD CPU but then you're going to be looking at about the same sort
of price anyway.

Rob