[ubuntu-uk] Is grandr the best way to use digital projector?

Grant Sewell dcglug at thymox.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 22:29:43 GMT 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:33:12 +0000
Alan Bell wrote:

> On 31/10/10 21:27, Dianne Reuby wrote:
> > Thanks for all the advice. I have my file in my Dropbox, but I'd
> > like to run from my own laptop if I can so I can learn how.
> >
> > I've installed the presenter package, and checked my hardware - I
> > have an ATI Radeon 5000 which has menu items to set up dual
> > monitors (hadn't looked at that before, I don't like messing with
> > things that I don't know anything about!) I'm assuming that a
> > digital projector is classed as a second monitor?
> >
> > Dianne
> >

> yes it is, and it should work fine. Don't try pairing your laptop
> with the projector for the first time with an audience watching you
> do it! Do a tech check well in advance of any actual presentation and
> do this every time you have to hook it up to a different projector.
>
> Alan.

I have found that my laptop (nVidia GeForce 7000 Mobile graphics chip)
doesn't detect the resolution supported by external monitors correctly
unless it is attached when the computer is turned on.  It will happily
detect that something's there, but won't let me push the resolution
beyond 800x600. :(

Grant.