[ubuntu-uk] Server won't start without screen

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 21:57:14 BST 2010

On 26 October 2010 21:09, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26/10/10 20:50, Paul Willis wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I set up Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server on a Mac Mini and shipped it off to our
> other office (too far for me to go and troubleshoot) where they plugged in a
> screen configured the network settings in the cli and then unplugged the
> screen.
> >
> > Everything worked fine until at some point a few weeks later the machine
> was switched off and when turned on again it wouldn't boot up properly (well
> it wouldn't appear on the network) until a screen was plugged in at which
> point it booted fine and appeared on the network without any problem.
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm not sure how the unit came to have the power
> disconnected it is plugged into a UPS all I know is that it was turned off
> when staff came in in the morning.
> >
> > This same scenario occurred a second time a week or so later and once
> again a screen was required for the server to be fully operational.
> >
> > When it starts up with a screen I'm told there i
>
> I've run a couple of headless servers and never had this issue, it just
> carries on.  That's not to say there maybe a setting where the Mac
> expects a monitor to be connected.  I've seen something along these
> lines on some PCs although it tends to be more a keyboard or mouse not
> plugged in rather than a screen not plugged in.
>
> Does it boot when the screen is plugged in but turned off?
>
> Also, could it be that some cleaner is unplugging the UPS or something
> thinks that the machine should be turned off to save electricity
> thinking they're being helpful?
>
> If you solve it or not I'd suggest maybe putting something on the plug
> or a note over the socket saying that the kit has to be kept plugged in
> and turned on.  I've seen some things that you can get which fit round
> the plug and cover the power switch (although I don't know where you can
> get them from, maybe Maplins, CPC etc or even an office supplies company
> maybe?).
>
> By the way, I did a quick google search, looks like someone else is
> having a similar issue with a Mac Mini but with XP...
>

> http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/296206/headless-mac-mini-server-using-bootcamp/
>
> Might give you more to go on.

You could try disabling the DVI port in the Ubuntu config. Xorg does test on
boot whether a screen is installed or not, so you might need to set the DVI
port to be ignored. This article gives a clue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=992602 but not much detail.

s/

--
My CV: http://bit.ly/sfgreenwood_cv