[ubuntu-uk] What accounting software to recommend

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Oct 22 12:32:32 BST 2010

On 22/10/10 11:42, Will Bickerstaff wrote:
> A colleague of mine has come to me this morning with a laptop on which
> his windows install has been bricked by his AV.
>
> I sort of, politely explained my stance on not wanting to waste time
> messing with problem windows installs any more. But I've agreed to
> look and get it working again for him, provided he allows me to
> install and dual boot Ubuntu, with a recommendation that he use it and
> see whether it works for him or not. Luckily I have my own laptop with
> me this morning that has 10.10, so was able to quickly demo Ubuntu
> with him, and explain one or two key differences.
>
> He uses sage a lot, and, not being an accounting type I was wondering
> what is the most similar package to use. I know what's available in
> the repo's but not their capability / compatibility with sage. Will he
> be able to get his sage info into whatever I end up recommending? If
> there's some leg work involved with converting, exporting and
> importing, that's fine as long as we can get it all in.

I remember seeing a product for this in the apple store,  it wsa
designed or apple but had a tux logo on too, so I guess there was a
linux port too,  not sure what it was called and it wasn't cheap. but if
its comprehensive and does the job,  it may pay for itself in terms of
reduced downtime from using windows. and the cost of this.

Paul

--

23rd October - Exwick Community Centre 14:00
6th November - Paignton Library 13:30 start