[ubuntu-uk] Open with feature in Nautilus

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 12:56:06 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:14 +0100, Dave Smith wrote:
> In 10.04 and before, say if I had a folder of videos and I always wanted them to open with VLC, I could right click the folder in Nautilus, choose 'open with other application' and select VLC so it would launch and play the contents of the folder.  If I tick the box to remember my choice, it added an 'Open With' option to my context menu where VLC would always be.
>
> Having done the same on 10.10, it looks like there is no 'Open With' remembered and something else has happened.  By ticking the box, it has made all home folders in my Places menu always open with VLC instead of launching Nautilus to navigate.  If I launch Nautilus independently, or click Places -> Computer, I can navigate around as normal.
>
> So, how can I undo what I've done?  And how can I do what I wanted to do?

Hi Dave,

It's a know bug [1]. To go back to the normal behaviour, you will need
to edit the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, find the
line that starts inode/directory= and change it to:

inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

After that all folders with open with Nautilus again. I don't know how
you would do what you wanted to do in the first place. It seems that
recent versions of Nautilus can only change association for all
directories, not selected ones.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492

Cheers,

Bruno