[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

Traveller traveller at petlover.com
Thu Oct 14 06:27:29 BST 2010

On 13/10/2010 7:56, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 13 October 2010 13:57, Melv Bailey<melvbailey at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Just seen Alan Bell's post and he has mentioned something no one else
>> has, there is meant to be a failsafe X in low res mode.  I didnt know
>> that and have not in 4 years seen that mentioned before.  Has anyone
>> else ever seen Ubuntu boot in this failsafe mode?  What is meant to
>> trigger this mode?
>>

> When X fails to start it falls back to failsafe mode.
>
> Al.

My experience installing 10.04 does not support this claim, Alan. In my
case, on a system with on-board nVidia graphics, X not only failed to
start, the monitor went to sleep after claiming "No input". Fortunately
for me, I still had a working WinXP available, and I was able to learn
that this was a known issue, and the solution was to select "nomodeset"
from F6 before commencing installation. I must say, though, that I was
very pleased with the Maverick installer. Not only is this the first
release since 9.04 that has actually got my wifi working straight away,
but the INSTALLER actually found the wifi and downloaded updates on the
fly! Made me very happy! Now if I can just get the sound to work the way
I want it to...
	Traveller