[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

chris cundy christopher_cundy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 11:49:46 BST 2010

I think the point of any Linux desktop distro is not that everything will work
perfectly with every combination of hardware available but to work with most
hardware. The issue with computer users is not that they can't solve problems or
get a particular setup working how they would like, its that they won't try.  We
have become too happy to rely on others to do all our thinking.

I too have come across problems with Graphic and Wifi cards yet I appreciate the
time and effort people have put in to create a wonderful free product or to
assist fools like me in forums.  One day I hope that my mucking about might be
able to assist the wider community.  I'm excited that broad comm has released an
open source driver, and when I have time I will be swearing at some of my older
laptops as I try to make them work on Wifi with Ubuntu and the new driver.

As for the problem with the NVidia cards, install the driver :)
I am lucky (not that the wife would agree) that I have vast amounts of Graphics
cards laying about, so if I do bump up against a problem I will swap out until I
find a card that works and use that instead.  Failing that I will install FreeNX
and just connect remotely and debug/install from a different machine.

Obviously using the CD to check if your hardware setup will work is great.  Its
a shame you can't do that with Windows... (someone is bound to tell me I'm wrong
about that).  I have spent less time chasing down bugs and fixing incompatibles
under Ubuntu then I did under XP (or 3.11).  Ubuntu has pushed Linux into the
general public view and is almost ready to be a solution for all.  If my
Mum/Dad/Wife/Grandparents can get to grips with it then I'm confidant that one
day it will give Microsoft/Apple some great competition.

Chris
Unix Support/Linux Liker/Windows Acceptor