[ubuntu-uk] Running From Pendrive with Persistence Allocated

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Oct 2 14:26:02 BST 2010

On 2 October 2010 13:53, Tony Doherty <tony.doherty at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been experimenting over the past few months with Ubuntu 9.10 & 10.4
> running entirely from a 4Gb USB memory stick and with 1Gb of persistence
> (Casper) allocated. I use the Pendrive Linux utility to prepare the memory
> stick.
>
> I tend to find that, after a few updates have been received, Ubuntu refuses
> to boot from the drive due to various errors. Selecting an older Generic
> Header can restore the boot therefore it appears to be corruption of the
> latest updated Header.

Surely it's just running out of space? The way I understand it you're
using the live image on a USB key, which cannot be changed, so any
new/updated packages and data are going to eat into the 1GB of
persistent storage?

If you do a 'proper' install to the USB key - that is, boot from a CD
or USB key and run Ubiquity (the installer) to install _onto_ another
USB key, then use that, you'll not see these issues.

Cheers,
Al.