[ubuntu-uk] Running From Pendrive with Persistence Allocated

Tony Doherty tony.doherty at zen.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 13:53:41 BST 2010

I have been experimenting over the past few months with Ubuntu 9.10 &
10.4 running entirely from a 4Gb USB memory stick and with 1Gb of
persistence (Casper) allocated. I use the Pendrive Linux utility to
prepare the memory stick.

I tend to find that, after a few updates have been received, Ubuntu
refuses to boot from the drive due to various errors. Selecting an older
Generic Header can restore the boot therefore it appears to be
corruption of the latest updated Header.

Can I ask if it is best not to receive updates when choosing to run
entirely from a USB drive or if a larger allocation of persistence would
help.

Many Thanks