[ubuntu-uk] Camera ?

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 17:40:21 GMT 2010

On 25/11/10 16:09, Barry Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 14:19 +0000, Ted Wager wrote:
>> I am thinking of buying a Panasonic TZ8 digital camera Could anyone
>> tell me if this will mount in Linux ?
>
> ...Canon EOS range do not mount as a mass storage device, instead
> they use a standard that gphoto can work with.

In my experience, most professional / serious amateur photographers
remove their SD/CF cards from their cameras and use a card reader to
transfer the images to storage devices (often as part of a work flow
involving a digital asset management application such as Digikam).  It's
common for photographers to store images on relatively small SD/CF cards
(e.g. 4Gb), and use several of them during a shoot or trip.  (Avoids
eggs in one basket.)

Anyway, the point is that there's no real need to connect cameras with
removable SD/CF cards directly to computers;  and Ubuntu will mount
cards even if a particular camera uses an idiosyncratic or proprietary
protocol for direct connection.

mac