[ubuntu-uk] Using HTC phone via Ubuntu Internet connection

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Nov 12 18:51:46 GMT 2010

I have just bought a HTC Desire Z mobile phone, running Android 2.2.

It has a feature to allow, via the USB cable, use of the Internet
connection on a PC so that the phone can connect via that, rather than
use the 3G or wi fi when those are not available or not wanting to use
them. I want to download lots of applications without draining my 3G
data allowance.

I have searched via Google, and some people have said that it just
worked for them. They plugged in the phone to their Ubuntu PC and they
could use the Internet on the phone.

But I cannot get it to work. I am new to Android, and still figuring out
the phone. In the Settings/Wireless & Networks, there is an option for
Internet Pass-through, which is trying to connect but never does. Then
it comes up with a message saying:
"Unable to connect to PC" and asks me to install HTC Sync software
(which is Windows only).

Is there something I need to install in Ubuntu to get it to work?

David King