[ubuntu-uk] OT: DRUPAL site got killed...

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat May 29 12:09:52 BST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Travis, Tony <a.travis at abdn.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello, Jon.
>
> Well, I think you were right to post your question here: Anyone who thinks they know
> everything about IT is a fool.
>
> The essence of our FLOSS community is helping each other and being honest enough to
> admit when you don't know. Cornelius  is right about the RTFM, of course, but the bane of
> my life is people who are too insecure to admit that they don't know everything and struggle

I agree with all of that, though I think you've got Jon and Cornelius
mixed up :-)

RTFM is a great concept, but it really depends on what it is you are
trying to do.  Sometimes if it's a package and it's behaving oddly and
you've already spent some time on it the sensible thing is to ask
others who might have experienced the same - a large part of being an
effective IT person is to know where to look for answers if you don't
know them yourself, and that is equally likely to be a person as a
book.

Best,

Sean