[ubuntu-uk] Improving Support

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Thu May 27 00:17:21 BST 2010

Hi Daubers,

Matthew Daubney wrote:
[snip!]
> Secondly, thanks to the people who turned up to my (frankly awful) talk
> at Oggcamp on this subject. Next time I have a chance to talk about what
> I'm trying to achieve I _should_ be able to do it better! As a result of
> that I have some notes I'm slowly going through to gain some ideas of
> how to move forward, but this moves me onto point three.

Well I was in that talk and I thought you did fine, so thank you.

> So really, what drives you to support people? What, in your own opinion,
> could be done to help motivate yourself to do better?

So many reasons I'm bound to forget as many as I list.

 * I believe in the software and the people behind it.
 * I believe in the power of the community - if we each do a little bit
   we can achieve a lot.
 * I like sticking it to The Man!
 * I was that cluebie newless once!
 * When I first started *really* using Ubuntu a few years ago, Popey was
   a massive inspiration to me, my hero.  As time has gone on, more
   people have done the same.  I hope that I can inspire people and
   maybe be someone's hero too.
 * Supporting other users is one way of giving back to a community that
   has given me so much.
 * Sometimes that little bit of help makes someone's day.
 * Sometimes they even thank you!
 * It's beneficial for me to understand users' problems.
 * It's beneficial for me to demonstrate that I know the answers to
   users' problems.
 * It's beneficial for me to learn from users' problems.
 * I cannot bear to think of a life where every day I get up, drop the
   kids at school, go to work, pick the kids up, go back to work, come
   home, eat, go to bed and start all over again.
 * Often my day job is so infuriatingly frustrating I like to achieve
   something with my evening so the day isn't wasted.
 * I'm a geek.
 * I enjoy a challenge and don't like to quit.

There are *loads* more, but that should get you started.  It's not all
philanthropic, I do stuff that benefits me too - but the beauty of Free
Software is that even when I'm scratching my own itch, I'm usually
scratching someone else's itch too.

Hope this helps,

JT
- --
James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |       VoIP: +44 (0)870 490 2407