[ubuntu-uk] O2 Joggler: deal

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Sun May 23 21:27:15 BST 2010

On 23 May 2010 21:22, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at southfarm.plus.com> wrote:
> On 20 May at 13:48, Anton Piatek <anton at piatek.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 19 May 2010 22:46, Daniel Case <danielcase10 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > A tutorial i made is here for your referance, it should work :)
>>
>> If you are in a hurry, go to http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/ where
>> a wget command will get you a 4GB usb image, and a dd command will put
>> it on your usb key. Then just plug it in to your joggler and cycle
>> power. Incredibly easy to get started with Ubuntu on a Joggler.
>>
>> Though I did find gnome really badly suited to the touchscreen, so
>> need to think about window managers made more for touchscreens as it
>> is very difficult to even double click with a touchscreen... (also
>> menu's and similar are incredibly hard to click on unless you make the
>> font sizes huge, in which case they just get in the way a lot.. )
>

> I have got stuck again.  With both an 8 GB and a 4 GB stick in the
> Joggler, lights flash on the stick when I start the Joggler but after a
> minute or so Joggler fires up normally.
>
> Problem 1: the USB sticks:
> -------------------------
> The 8 GB stick has no apparent fault as all the files on it can be seen
> OK.
> The 4 GB stick starts off as 4GB but formatting brings this down to 3.4
> GB and this will not hold all of Stephen Ford's image.
>
> Problem 2: Loading Ubuntu to the stick:
> --------------------------------------
> I had originally done this on the 8 GB stick via the Windows program
> Disk Imager which made two partitions.
>
> As this had not worked on the Joggler, I then tried following Stephen
> Ford's simple instructions from his site.  I unzipped (un-tar, etc) his
> file until I was left with this: joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin
>
> I then wiped the stick and reformatted it.
>
> The problem then came with his command of:
>  dd if=joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin of=<your_own_device> bs=10M count=365
> I did not know what <your_own_device>should be translated to.  So I
> tried:
>  dd if=joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin of=/dev/sdb1 bs=10M count=365
> and got the response:
>  dd: opening `/dev/sdb1': Permission denied
>
> My second attempt was with this command:
>  dd if=joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin
>  of=/media/C/joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin bs=10M count=365
> and this got the response of:
>  365+0 records in
>  365+0 records out
>  3827302400 bytes (3.8 GB) copied, 707.077 s, 5.4 MB/s
>
> As above, I put the stick in the Joggler and nothing useful resulted on
> a reboot.

Hello, the initial command looked correct, the location of the device
is the name of where the usb stick is in the file system table, open
Gparted/partition editor, you should see the usb device and it will be
something like /dev/sdb

then remember to type sudo before the command, just to see if you need
root privilege to access the device. HTH

--
Kris Douglas,

  NODE Computer Systems
  Servers - PCs - Design - Administration

  T. 01200438449
  M. 07728574285

  Please consider the environment before you print this E-Mail.