[ubuntu-uk] Calendaring [WAS (no subject)]

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Thu May 13 08:48:32 BST 2010

On 13/05/10 02:18, red wrote:
> I am wanting to get organised in life and so hey I should use my laptop.
>
> In my Ubuntu (latest version) I have a calendar next to my clock and
> also a calender in Thunderbirds and a google calender. This selection is
> ace but can I integrate all the info on one into the other calendars?#

Hi,

I'm not sure about the gnome panel calendar applet - I think that is
part of evolution.

However, I use Thunderbird & Lightning and have plenty of Calendars (all
stored remotely either using Google or another public calendar server
called Chandler).

Google and many other calendar servers & clients now support a protocol
called CalDAV. You don't need the Google Provider for Lightning. Be
aware that AIUI currently Google's Calendar service [API?] doesn't
support tasks - only events.

TB has an extension which integrates it with libnotify and the
indicator-applet
(http://ubublogger.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/how-to-install-the-experimental-version-of-libnotify-mozilla/).
Some of this functionality should be included as standard by TB3.2.

It would be an interesting exercise to see if Lightning could be
extended to talk to the calendar applet. Almost certainly possible, but
might be hard/difficult - I do not know.

HTH

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre