[ubuntu-uk] Cannot boot after upgrade to Lucid

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 3 19:13:33 BST 2010

On 3 May 2010 at 18:47, Matthew Daubney wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 18:34 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have posted the following bug
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/573776
> >
> > but got no response yet so I wonder if anyone on the list can help
> > me?
> >
> > It seems that the only way I can get at my partitions is by using my
> > USB stick.  So I can pull of log files, etc and modify any config files, if
> > needed.
> >
> > Tony
>
> Hello,
> That error is related to your graphics card. What gfx card and what RAM
> do you have?
>
> Here's the error in the drivers code
>
> if (rdev->family == CHIP_RS400 || rdev->family == CHIP_RS480) {
>                 /* FIXME: RS400 & RS480 seems to have issue with GART size
>                  * if 4G of system memory (needs more testing) */
>                 rdev->mc.gtt_size = 32 * 1024 * 1024;
>                 DRM_ERROR("Forcing to 32M GART size (because of ASIC bug ?)\n");
>         }
>
> Can you let us know what hardware your system has and we can look a bit further.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Matt Daubney

Matt: Graphics is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 onboard which uses some
of the system RAM.  The PC itself is an HP Pavilion t3510.uk desktop
with an HPvs17x flatscreen monitor and 1GB Ram.

John: The kernel is whatever kernel Lucid installs (I can confirm it, if
you want but shutting XP & rebooting takes an age)

Matt: Note booting in Recovery mode and with old kernel also fails.

Tony