[ubuntu-uk] Final Upgrade to Lucid, not worked completely

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Mon May 3 11:55:27 BST 2010

On 03/05/10 11:43, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 03/05/10 10:32, John Matthews wrote:
>
>> On 02/05/10 14:03, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
>>
>>> The script that "update-grub" calls - grub-mkconfig - looks for kernels
>>> and so forth and automatically generates the config file for grub.
>>>
>>> It*should*  find any kernels in /boot so perhaps when you ran it the
>>> relevant partition wasn't mounted?
>>>
>>> You can also manually edit your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and try adding
>>> a new boot option pointing the "linux /vmlinux-XXX ..." line to the
>>> necessary drive designation (i.e. /dev/sda2 - where the "/" root
>>> partition of Lucid is) rather than UUID strings and try that.
>>>

>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> thank you for the message. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are
>> talking about. Tried reading that through about half dozen times, and
>> wouldnt even know where to start.
>>
>> Can you explain a bit more?
>>
> Ahh,
>
> earlier a respondentsuggested you run the command "sudo update-grub".
>
> If you open a terminal and type "man update-grub" it will tell you a
> little about this file (it is just small shell script) which calls
> another shell script called grub-mkconfig with some parameters.
>
> If you then type "man grub-mkconfig" it mentions that this file creates
> a grub config file. You can actually look at the shell script if you
> like. To find out where it is first, type:
>
> "which grub-mkconfig"
>

> The result of which should be "/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig"
>
> So you now open and look at the script if you want to:
>
> "less /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig"
>
> But the whole reason for my reply was that you said:
>
> "Hi sorry its taken me so long to get back to you, I did what you said
>
> sudo update-grub
>
> and it didnt change anything on the grub, but also, Ubuntu stopped
>
> Now that command rebuilds the grub config file automatically by
> searching for interesting kernels and creating the right entries in the
> grub config file: /boot/grub/grub.cfg (You can examine it by typing
> "less /boot/grub/grub.cfg".
>
> If you feel brave, make a copy of it (use sudo in front the commands)
> and then add a new entry manually that loads the new lucid kernel. You
> should have a file in the /boot directory called something like
>
> vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic with a similarly named initrd.img file.
>
> It is these which need to be loaded first. These two "key" lines in my
> grub.cfg:
>
> linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
> root=UUID=9e126082-f552-44ce-a103-925779c31147 ro   quiet splash
>
> initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
>

> tell grub what to load. There might be several "groups" of boot options
> in your grub.cfg, you can, if you are careful, copy one of them and add
> a new one for your lucid kernel of it doesn't exist and then select that
> on start-up (Hold the shift key down when you power-on the PC and keep
> it held until you get the grub boot menu).
>
> Having said all this, it might not be the wisest advice to give you. You
> [...]

Hi Alan,

I am not sure about hacking, the fact that so many things can go wrong,
and I dont have enough experience to work things out, it makes me kind
of worried. I am still having problems playing flash videos. Still cant
get some types to play, and have to use windows to play them.

Something I remembered to do, when I did

sudo update-grub

which by the way, was posted on there, by somebody on another e-mail, a
lot of what came out of it, had errors on, so I took a copy of it. Not
that I understood anything, which is why I took a copy. (not had a very
good weekend, so completely forgot about that until this morning)

I have added it to pastebin and here is the url to look at it.

http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/63958

Hope that helps a little bit.

The grub still doesnt show its Lucid, and it still has all 10 or so
kernels showing, but it is loading Lucid. Yet after fiddling, turning
machine on and off, it will eventually load.

John.

--
Ubuntu User #30817