[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Science Museum Visit - WiFi Available!

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Thu Mar 25 11:12:37 GMT 2010

Oh god, don't even go there... My mum has a netbook running XP. I really
would like to get Ubuntu on it, seeing as I am her main support,
although I do live 200 miles away, so support at the mo is via
logmein.com... not that any of this is any reason not to use Ubuntu.

But she really doesn't have a clue bless her. The basic principles of
what a password is and what it is for and how her email username and
password isn't what the entire Internet is asking her for just doesn't
sink in.

The other day I logged in as she was saying the internet was doing
something 'funny'. Somehow she had got Firefox to open about 170+ tabs every time it opened... no wonder she thought it was broke as it must have taken an age to open all those web pages every time.

But to my mum, she doesn't get the concept of tabs... she doesn't even
get the concept of windows (i.e. minimised windows on the task bar)

I am amazed she manages to do what she does on the internet. She seems
happy enough tho.

Jon