[ubuntu-uk] USB NAS adapter samba connection

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Mar 5 22:31:07 GMT 2010

A NAS is a Network Attached Storage, i.e. it is attached to your
Network, not to your PC. If your PC is attached to the same network,
then you can access it via samba from your Ubuntu PC.

I also had a NAS, which I originally set up under Windows XP, I thnk it
had to be configured via a web interface, which was on a computer
running XP (or was it a special piece of software I installed, I cannot
recall now), back in the days before I ever even had heard of Ubuntu. It
was a Linksys NSLU2.

It has 2 USB ports, which both had hard drives attached to them via IDE
to USB adapters. Both were formatted, by the NAS, using ext2 or ext3.

But in more recent times, one of the hard drives died and I can no
longer get the data off it, having tried everything I could think of.

But so long as you can attach hard drives to the NAS, then it is a
useful device for having extra storage space on your network, if you do
not want to attach the drives to your PC or have more than 1 PC
accessing the same files.

Although file transfers via the ethernet are slow compared to having the
drive directly plugged into the PC.

And I think that most NAS drives run a modified Linux OS inside them, so
if you can hack into it you can add more functionality. I have heard of
people using them for print servers.

They seem to be very cheap now, so go for one that has enough USB ports
and can be configured via a web interface.

David King