[ubuntu-uk] Xorg problem using too much CPU

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:45:35 BST 2010

On 20 July 2010 12:37, ByteSoup <bytesoup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/07/10 11:17, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> >
> > No, that's definitely an Intel integrated graphics controller so I
> > suppose that removes Nvidia from the equation.
> >
> > s/
>
> I think I narrowed it down to whats causing it. At the advice of another
> poster on launchpad, I created another user account and logged into that
> account. I logged onto my work VPN, and then visited the site which
> caused the problem it runs some java app but i think it also uses flash,
> or at least it looks "flashy" and then noticed the cpu go up and then
> down again, everything seemed fine.
>
> I then added "noscript" into firefox and tried it again and the problem
> was reproduced. So I believe its browser based java and possibly flash.
> But no amount of xserver restarts seems to solve the problem. As before
> rebooting is quicker than trying to resolve it. I really wish I knew a
> way of tracking the rogue process down and killing it off. Of course
> avoiding the site in the first place is what I do, but there is a chance
> I could stumble onto a site that causes the same symptoms.

Again, that matches my experience. I found that Chrome is less, shall we
say, explosive, than Firefox but it seems to sit with the interface with
Flash and possibly Xorg - if you close Firefox the CPU will settle down but
it takes a couple of minutes, which suggests to me that it's external to the
browser.

s/

--
BBC 6 Music saved! http://www.love6music.com