[ubuntu-uk] Xorg problem using too much CPU

ByteSoup bytesoup at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:37:19 BST 2010

On 20/07/10 11:17, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> No, that's definitely an Intel integrated graphics controller so I
> suppose that removes Nvidia from the equation.
>
> s/

I think I narrowed it down to whats causing it. At the advice of another
poster on launchpad, I created another user account and logged into that
account. I logged onto my work VPN, and then visited the site which
caused the problem it runs some java app but i think it also uses flash,
or at least it looks "flashy" and then noticed the cpu go up and then
down again, everything seemed fine.

I then added "noscript" into firefox and tried it again and the problem
was reproduced. So I believe its browser based java and possibly flash.
But no amount of xserver restarts seems to solve the problem. As before
rebooting is quicker than trying to resolve it. I really wish I knew a
way of tracking the rogue process down and killing it off. Of course
avoiding the site in the first place is what I do, but there is a chance
I could stumble onto a site that causes the same symptoms.

-Mark