[ubuntu-uk] Simple network

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 10:53:51 GMT 2010

Rik Boland wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am wanting to create a real simple network between 2 unbuntu machine
> where sould, I start?
>
> Shalom

It really depends what you want to do.  Do you want to share files and
folders between machines?

For starters you'll need a way of connecting the machines together.
This can be wirelessly (say connecting both machines to a the same
wireless network), via ethernet cables to a router, or maybe a
combination of both (one connected wirelessly and another via an
ethernet cable).

There are other options, connecting via ethernet cables to a switch,
using a crossover ethernet cable between the machines or connecting them
wirelessly via an AdHoc wireless network.

I guess the best bet is to let us know exactly what you want to achieve
and what you have already (wireless router, cables etc).

In my case I have a wireless router, a couple of switches and a server
with a couple of machines connected by ethernet cable and some by
wireless although you don't need anything this complicated for a simple
network.

You may find that you have everything you need to get started already
(such as a wireless router used for internet access and two machines
connected to the router somehow so they can see the internet).

Rob