[ubuntu-uk] Just noticed something..not sure if its an error.....

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 17:07:17 GMT 2010

Matt,

Matthew Daubney wrote:

> the jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop bit of that prompt shows you the user you're
> logged in as, followed by the hostname of your computer. The ~ really
> means /home/jakewc2 . If you where to type cd Desktop you'd end up with
> jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop:~/Desktop$ The $ shows that you have root
> priviledges, and the : is just a seperator :)

I'm not sure the $ shows you have root privileges. Or do you mean the
user is in the admin group and can do sudo?

The prompt string is determined by the environment variable PS1. If you
do 'echo $PS1' you will see how it is defined. It includes backslashed
characters and variable names that get substituted by bash.

You can change the definition of PS1 in the .bashrc or .bash_profile
file, or their equivalents in whichever shell is being used.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk