[ubuntu-uk] Just noticed something..not sure if its an error.....

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 16:44:02 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 16:37 +0000, John Matthews wrote:
> ok, I hope I can explain this. In my Terminal it has
> jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop:~$. but in Places, desktop is spelt with an
> Uppercase D. Does that make any difference. Can somebody explain what
> jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop:~$ is/means? Maybe that is why I have so many
> problems using the Terminal to do upload stuff to my server.
>
> John

Hi John,

the jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop bit of that prompt shows you the user you're
logged in as, followed by the hostname of your computer. The ~ really
means /home/jakewc2 . If you where to type cd Desktop you'd end up with
jakewc2 at jakewc2-desktop:~/Desktop$ The $ shows that you have root
priviledges, and the : is just a seperator :)

So the Desktop in the places folder is the Desktop folder
in /home/jakewc2 and the jakewc2-desktop is just the name of your
machine.

Hope that helps.

-Matt Daubney