[ubuntu-uk] Installing on a USB drive

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 17:11:12 GMT 2010

Keith Powell wrote:

> My new, rather expensive, computer has only one hard drive and that has
> Windows7 pre-installed with a 'rescue partition'.
>
> Now, the insurance/support policy I have on the new computer (I didn't
> bother with one on the old machine) states that I can't modify the
> computer in any way. I must get a computer repair person, which they
> nominate, to do any work inside the machine.
>
> I don't want to try dual booting by putting Ubuntu on the same hard
> drive as Windows7, but would rather keep it separate. My thoughts are to
> install it on an external USB hard drive.
>
> Would I simply plug the drive in, boot the computer, run the liveCD and
> install it as I would with an internal hard drive? I have read postings
> about installing to a USB memory card, which seems rather complicated,
> needing special programs to do it. So I am wondering if installing to a
> hard drive would be easier. The drive would only be used with this machine.

Thank you all for your prompt and very helpful replies. I very much
appreciate them.

It looks as though I can install Ubuntu on the USB hard drive without
any problems. That's gratifying to know, so I will buy a hard drive and
go ahead with the installation.

Sorry I haven't quoted any of the replies in this posting.

I have just one or two comments.

1) I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of a computer repairer
supplying and fitting a new internal drive. I don't even know if it
would be a "home visit" or if I would have to take it several/many miles
to him for the installation to be done.

2) I have been assured that this BIOS will allow booting from a USB drive.

3) I would rather keep the two operating systems completely separate, as
I have done before, rather than dual boot. Including Grub.

4) When I ran two internal hard drives, I didn't alter the BIOS
settings. When the BIOS was booting, I pressed a key (F8) and selected
which hard drive/DVD drive to use from the menu.

Cheers and thanks again.

Keith