[ubuntu-uk] Installing on a USB drive

Andy Braben andybraben at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:41:47 GMT 2010

On 2 February 2010 12:32, Keith Powell <keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk> wrote:
> In my previous computer (built locally and modified over the years by
> me), I had fitted a second IDE hard drive. The first drive had XP
> installed and the second had Linux installed. (I tried other distros on
> it, but ended up with Ubuntu).
>
> My new, rather expensive, computer has only one hard drive and that has
> Windows7 pre-installed with a 'rescue partition'.
>
> Now, the insurance/support policy I have on the new computer (I didn't
> bother with one on the old machine) states that I can't modify the
> computer in any way. I must get a computer repair person, which they
> nominate, to do any work inside the machine.
>
> I don't want to try dual booting by putting Ubuntu on the same hard
> drive as Windows7, but would rather keep it separate. My thoughts are to
> install it on an external USB hard drive.
>
> Would I simply plug the drive in, boot the computer, run the liveCD and
> install it as I would with an internal hard drive? I have read postings
> about installing to a USB memory card, which seems rather complicated,
> needing special programs to do it. So I am wondering if installing to a
> hard drive would be easier. The drive would only be used with this machine.
>
> To clarify, I would like to actually install Ubuntu on the drive, not
> use the drive as a USB version of a liveCD.
>
> Many thanks for any advice.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

I have an external hard drive with ubuntu on it. I can plug it into
any PC which has a BIOS which will allow you to boot up from USB
(which is any 21st Century BIOS, I think). I can then use Ubuntu on a
machine with Vista on it, and be productive rather than waiting ages
to boot Vista up and try anything else on it.

Using a computer with 2 USB sockets, you can have the ubuntu install
on a usb pen drive, and install straight onto a USB external hard
disk.

Regards,
Andy.