[ubuntu-uk] Corrupted User Accounts?

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 15:01:29 GMT 2010

On 20 December 2010 14:47, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see loads and loads of posts on the MS forums of the type "I am the
> sole user and administrator and my account is corrupted how do I access
> my data?" with various answers being given, including the setting up of
> an Administrator account which is never used except for emergency access
> and elevation purposes.
> Does Ubuntu ever suffer with corrupted User accounts (I have to say I've
> never seen any posts anywhere about this) and if so, what's the fix?

In short, I would say yes. By corrupted, stuff like the dot files in
home (hidden config files) could be deleted or similar, which would
constitute to a corrupted user account.

But, you are never really the sole user. You can use the root fallback
terminal to either recover the user data, or repair/replace the
missing files.

I am no expert, but this is how I have it in my head.

--
Regards, Kris Douglas.
 T. 0845 004 2066 | M. 07728574285