[ubuntu-uk] Disk Rescue!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Aug 30 18:28:40 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 16:21 +0100, daveg at boavon.plus.com wrote:
> I'll try to be sucinct as possible, but also explain as fully as I can.
>
> Booting up, I get the grub menu.  Choosing any of the 4ish(?) Ubuntu
> choices (exept restore versions) results in hung system. Choosing XP
> results in hung system.  Choosing one of the restore options results in a
> scrolling screen of text, so fast it is difficult to pause and read but I
> do recall some bad messages relating to DMA.  I can get to grub prompt but
> I haven't much of a clue from here whether this is a good thing or not.

CTRL+s / CTRL+q should enable you to pause / unpause the information
flying by. Take a photo if you can, and upload to some free image
hosting service so we can see.

If as other suggest the disk is fried the good news is replacement disks
are super cheap these days. You could then remove the bad one, put it in
a USB enclosure and boot off a good/new disk and run various recovery
tools against it if there's any data you want off of it.

Cheers,
Al.