[ubuntu-uk] Logo Vote

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 27 20:40:38 BST 2010

On 27 August 2010 16:30, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2010, at 14:20, Alan Bell <alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
>
>> All the pending votes have now been approved, if you have voted already
>> and didn't get a mail, don't worry about it, your vote got counted. If
>> you really want you can email me off list and I can confirm I have your
>> email address in the list of voters. 54 voters have voted so far,
>
> That's about 10% of the subscribers to this list. Which is disappointing but about par for the course in terms of people who are active in FLOSS communities in my experience.

Prompted by this I have now voted, in order that I do not fall into
the 'if you do not vote you cannot complain' camp.  I was not going to
vote, not due to apathy, but because I am not particularly taken by
any of them, the problem is that I much preferred the old font, I
think the cuddly round symetrical u and n said something about Ubuntu.
 I realise that there is not much that can be done about this however.
 I think it may be a typical case of a company spending money on
design consultants (or in house designers, I do not know) and ending
up with something worse that the original.

I would like to suggest that if the Union Flag one wins then firstly
the flag texture should be redone - it appears that more that one flag
has been used to create the texture whereas the current logo appears
to have been overlayed on one flag image, which I think is as it
should be.  Also if the flag one wins then I think it might be worth a
second round trying various fonts and sizes for the uk again.

Colin