[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Aug 18 10:08:09 BST 2010

On 18 August 2010 09:53, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
> There is no evidence, as far as I can see, that 9.04 and 9.10 are any
> more similar than 9.10 and 10.04, therefore the "accepted" rules
> regarding "release numbers" (ie. 1.4 1.41 1.42 1.5 1.51 1.52 denotes
> major and minor releases) don't apply so 10.04 is NOT a "release
> number" imho and has no more significance in that regard than "Lucid"
> or "Karmic"...

Release numbers are arbitrary at the behest of the developer who
chooses them. We chose YY.DD and it works really well. You can te

> So why have the numeric codenames at all?

Because names are obscure. Imagine someone asks for support and wants
to know if their release is still supported.

As a simple test without looking it up and without thinking, when was
Edgy Eft released? I personally don't know without going back in my
head over all the releases or working forward from one I happen to
know, and I've run every release since 4.10!

Compare that to "6.06 LTS" I know just from that the release date
(June 2006) and as it's an LTS release it was supported until 2009 (3
years) on the desktop and 2011 (5 years) on the server. You can't get
that information from "Dapper Drake" without looking it up.

Cheers,
Al.