[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Aug 18 09:53:15 BST 2010

Personally I prefer the codenames to the "version numbers", which
aren't really version numbers at all but rather the month/year the
release occurred.

There is no evidence, as far as I can see, that 9.04 and 9.10 are any
more similar than 9.10 and 10.04, therefore the "accepted" rules
regarding "release numbers" (ie. 1.4 1.41 1.42 1.5 1.51 1.52 denotes
major and minor releases) don't apply so 10.04 is NOT a "release
number" imho and has no more significance in that regard than "Lucid"
or "Karmic"...

So why have the numeric codenames at all?

Sean