[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 17 21:21:54 BST 2010

On 17 August 2010 21:07, Jonathon Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Promote the product via this name (or codename).

The name is only supposed to be used by developers during the
development cycle. Once it releases it becomes 10.04, 10.10 etc.

> 3) Wonder why the general public (general ignorant audience) don't
> jump on board when they think the name sounds unprofessional or just
> plain stupid (e.g. GIMP).

It's Ubuntu 10.04. Look at the CD, it doesn't say Lucid _anywhere_ on it.

Note the release announcement even plays down the name calling it just
a 'codename'.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-April/000133.html

"We" in the Ubuntu community should be encouraging people to use the
version numbers for releases and the codenames for development
versions. However _within_ our community it's not unusual to continue
using the names because we build an affection for them, having worked
on them for months and sporting t-shirts depicting the animals.

Cheers,
Al.