[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 21:07:00 BST 2010

On 17 August 2010 19:44, Laura Czajkowski <laura at lczajkowski.com> wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> Thought folks might be interested to know that 11.04 will be the Natty
> Narwhal http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/478
>
> Laura
>
> --

Easy steps to make your product fail:

1) Give it a name only the developers would understand in its proper
context, e.g. GIMP.
2) ???
3) Profit!

*cough* Sorry.

2) Promote the product via this name (or codename).
3) Wonder why the general public (general ignorant audience) don't
jump on board when they think the name sounds unprofessional or just
plain stupid (e.g. GIMP).
4) Resist all urges by your community to change the name as there's
nothing wrong with it.

If you read this far, thank you. The point I think I'm trying to make
is that Canonical seems to be wandering further and further off into
obscure yet geeky-cool naming schemes. Let's look at them shall we?

Warty Warthog. Fine. It was warty. Makes sense, warthog. Warts. Fine.
Hoary Hedgehog. Familiar animal, hairy so mature. OK I guess.
Breezy Badger. Easy breezy. Nice and simple. Badger is a dependable
creature. Good name.
Dapper Drake. Dapper, polished. Good. LTS. Drake? It's a male duck.
Umm. They like to gang rape female ducks? Or do you mean a flying
dragon?
Edgy Eft. Edgy, damned right it was. WTF is an Eft?
Feisty Fawn. Bit musty and mouldy? Grovelling about on the floor? Oh,
wait, you mean eager? And a deer? An eager deer?
Gutsy Gibbon. Gutsy, fine. Strong. Gibbon, fine, intelligent, mobile,
sociable etc.
Hardy Heron. Hardy, strong, LTS. Good name for an LTS. Heron, patient.
Good name.
Intrepid Ibex. Breaking new ground, Ibex is a call back to Ubuntu
origin. Good name.
Jaunty Jackalope. OK, here we go. A fictional creature that's a bit
sure of itself.
Karmic Koala. Karmic as in it has reached nirvana? I'm not sure Karmic
was /that/ good. Koalas eat eucalyptus; was that a package introduced?
Elastic computing thing?
Lucid Lynx. Clear-minded wildcat. Umm. Not exactly a dependable
creature for an LTS, then.
Maverick Meerkat. Advert tie-in. Simples. Was any new ground broken? I
can't really think of any, indicator was introduced in Lucid. Oh wait,
the window button positions. That's ground-breaking, obviously.
Natty Narwhal. Oh come on.