[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu enterprise cloud

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Tue Aug 10 14:14:03 BST 2010

On 10 August 2010 13:02, Dave Walker <DaveWalker at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>  On 10/08/10 12:09, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> On 10 August 2010 08:35, John Stevenson <john at jr0cket.com> <john at jr0cket.com> wrote:
>

>  I would like to make part of the cloud relatively portable and am using an
> Acer revo for the controller.  Does anyone know of a small(ish) form factor
> server that can still hold 3-5 hard drives (3.5"), with a cpu that supports
> virtualisation (i.e. not the atom)?
>

>  <SNIP>
> I would find it interesting to know the "why" you want it reasonably
> portable, it's a use case I haven't really encountered before.
>
> I tend to use 3 x Dell Vostro laptops for development and demo cloud.

I was thinking portability for the same reason as yourself, in that if I
want to take a part of my cloud (controller and 1 node) out and about for a
demo or to demonstrate at a client site.  I was thinking of the aspire revo
with a little server box the size of a NAS (eg. Thecus 3200) as they can all
run headless.

It would be interesting to test if my asus eeepc 900 would run as a
controller (am using it to test meercat and lubuntu currently), if the
aspire revo is not overly tasked as a controller, then it should be possible
on the eeepc 900.

>  There is a Canonical webinar this Thursday at 12 noon on Ubuntu enterprise
> cloud.
>

>  I didn't know about that! Signed up. Thanks,
> Al.
>

>  For others that may be interested:
>
> http://www.canonical.com/webinars/ubuntu-enterprise-cloud-a-guide-to-effective-cloud-management
>
> Kind Regards,
> Dave Walker

Are you the Dave at Canonical that I was talking to whilst you were
demonstrating UEC at the recent Ubuntu in Business conference in London?  If
so, hello and nice to talk to you again.  I was going to drop you a line
when I had the private cloud up and running (waiting for some new hard
drives).

Regardless I'll do a write up soon and post a link to the list.

Thank you.
--
John Stevenson
Lean Agile Consultant / Coach