[ubuntu-uk] FLOSS UK Unconference Autumn 2010

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 10 10:42:41 BST 2010

FLOSS UK Unconference Autumn 2010 - http://unconference2010.flossuk.org/

Saturday, 16th October, Birmingham & Midland Institute, England

What is FLOSS UK 2010?

This is our first unconference, and is being held in collaboration
with local FLOSS groups.

What is an Unconference?

An unconference is a conference where what happens is organised by the
delegates on the day. The event organisers have to arrange something,
the main one being a venue, but the rest is down to the delegates. So
all the hassle of talk submissions, review and scheduling is taken
away.

Typically:

at the start of the day everyone gets up in turn and says who they
are, what their interests are and what they'd like to do
based on this people write proposals on PostIt notes and stick these on a board
a moderator may read out the proposals in turn to gauge interest, and
if sufficient the proposal will be put on a scheduling board
delegates may adjust the schedule to avoid clashes, etc.
The unconference starts…

Experience shows that the unconference format results in high quality
sessions focussed on what delegates want.

How will FLOSS UK 2010 work?

Because of the numbers we expect, following the above procedure at the
beginning may be too lengthy, so we propose to invite groups to set up
their own unconferences within the main event, so far we have:

Linux: local LUGs
Perl: Birmingham Perlmongers
PHP: WM PHP Group
Python: PyCon UK Society
Ruby: West Midlands Ruby User Group
(and we're open to offers from other FLOSS groups!)

Groups are able to make preliminary arrangements on this FLOSS UK wiki
- please let us know if you want your group to be added to the left
menu (contact unconference2010 - at - flossuk.org).

We will be providing the basic infrastructure only — venue, wiki, wifi
internet connectivity, projectors and screens, everything else is up
to the delegates!

How much will it cost me?

We are aiming to keep the cost of attending this event down to the
bare minimum. Everyone will be able to afford to come, and as it is a
one-day event you will not need to incur accommodation costs, though
several hotels are available for anyone who wishes to stay over.

Why attend?

There are lots of reasons to attend the 2010 Unconference, including:

Keep abreast with new/emerging technologies
Network with some of the people who are responsible for developing
critical applications
Become part of the UK Open Source community - build up informal
relationships that can be invaluable in problem solving
Benefit from the experience of delegates with similar interests