[ubuntu-uk] Lenovo N500 will not load Ubuntu

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 11:53:17 BST 2010

On 04/08/10 11:29, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> I wonder what caused the file directory to disintegrate in the first
> place? As I said, when I looked at the loading dialog, it said "dev/
> (some long hex number) does not exist."

Hello, Rowan.

The hex number is the UUID of the filesystem, which is used to locate it
instead of using an actual device name that can change when you plug in
external drives or fiddle with the hard disk order in the BIOS. Try:

   ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

If you use UUID's in your /etc/fstab instead of device names, then
filesystems can be found despite changes to device names. These links
are created automatically when you build a new filesystem. You can check
what the UUID of a filsystem is (e.g. on /dev/sda1) using:

   sudo blkid /dev/sda1

> [...]
> In any case, now I have 10.04, which I had not previously upgraded to,

Now you're running 10.04, you can use the disk utility to check the
health of your disks,

   System/Administration/Disk Utility

Have a look at the SMART data for your internal disk.

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK