[ubuntu-uk] MP3 player with shoutcast and web remote control support

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Sep 19 18:21:52 BST 2009

Hi folks,

Not sure if anyone can help with this one...

Basically my new phone has Wifi and it will play Shoutcast streams.  Now
although I can put music on the memory card, I'd rather not have a load
of songs duplicated on my server and phone.  What I would like to do
though is to stream songs on my server using Shoutcast or Icecast to my
phone.

So I wondered if anyone knew of a terminal based MP3 player (maybe an
MP3 player daemon) that can send it's output directly to a
Shoutcast/Icecast streaming server and be controlled by a web page (I'm
thinking either a page on Apache to send commands to the daemon, or a
daemon with it's own built in web interface?).

Just wondered if there was such a thing?

I did find an application called SnackAmp which is TCL/TK based and
works on Linux or Windows but it appears that it has a GUI interface and
can't find the music, plus it needs a display to output to on Linux
(which isn't much good on my server as I don't have X installed).

Rob