[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on the BBC!!!

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Oct 27 15:05:21 GMT 2009

Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 27/10/09 08:13, Daniel Drummond wrote:
> <snip />
>> If that guy was from Canonical, perhaps they should think about retraining:-
>>
>> /"For the first time in 20 years you can buy Ubuntu pre-installed from
>> more than one manufacturer," he said. "That's an extraordinary story."
>>
>> /A stupid statement considering Ubuntu hasn't been around for 20 years.
>
> Nit picking is not really helpful. GNU/Linux has been around for that long.
>
>> and
>>
>> /"Some of the security is through obscurity but it's also better by
>> design," he said./
>>
>> Just doesn't make sense at all.  Surely as it is an open-source system,
>> there is no obscurity.  I think he means to say that Ubuntu is a smaller
>> target for crackers than some others.
>
> Thinking about the audience for this perhaps it could have been phrased
> better but it is a very encouraging sign. That's the first time I've
> *ever* seen a Linux distro get mainstream coverage in a positive rather
> than derogatory light.
>
> Chris does work for Canonical. He's in charge of OEM deals worldwide and
> is quite senior in the company.

Note that a significant fact is the interview was run by BBC Radio
5-Live's Gary Parkinson, who immediately says

"I have been running Ubuntu on this netbook for over a year now...."

As Ubuntu and other alternatibves to the Windows monopoly increase in
general use, there will be people like Gary Parkinson who, whatever
job they do, get to use Ubuntu regularly and find they like it. Gary
is in an influential position. His Ubuntu experiences are apparently
personal ones, not corporate.

The moral I take from this is - the more Ubuntu is used, anywhere, the
closer we get to the tipping point.

I have introduced three friends in recent months to  Linux Emporium,
because they wanted an Ubuntu only Laptop from a retail friendly
source. Three  purchases.  LE is giving an impressive service, I can
recommend them.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user