[ubuntu-uk] Karmic networking broken

Daniel Drummond dmdrummondx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:31:09 GMT 2009

Rob Beard wrote:
> Sean Miller wrote:
>
>> I will only install Karmic again if it promises me it won't tell me my
>> hard drive is dying.
>>
>> Jaunty has never done, and if it is dying I'd honestly rather not know.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> Surely it's good to know so you can make sure you have up to date
> backups.  I've just had a 1TB hard drive fail on me, luckily I've
> managed to get it running again to get the important stuff off of it,
> but I didn't have any pre-warnings, and I can't afford the cost of
> professional data recovery so if the drive dies, I'm stuffed unless I
> have a recent backup.
>
> Rob

This is due to the inclusion of drive monitoring tools in Karmic.  They
weren't present in Jaunty, which is why you only found out when you
installed Karmic.  I've had a warning up about one of my drives, but it
is pretty much brand new, and hasn't been used much.  Looking at the
report it gave me makes me think it isn't on it's last legs, but the
values being reported by the hard drive are not very accurate.

On the other hand I *may* have been sold a drive that has been used
before, in which case I'm a little annoyed.  :-S

Either way just because Jaunty doesn't report the problem, doesn't mean
it isn't there.  You can disable it if you want to in Karmic.

Dan